Thursday, July 6, 2017

Look for what God can do

Walking down the street, Jesus saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked, "Rabbi, who sinned: this man or his parents, causing him to be born blind?"
Jesus said, "You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do. We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. For as long as I am in the world, there is plenty of light. I am the world's Light."
John 9:1-5 The Message

The single action of 'looking for what God can do' sounds so simple.  In my life I have found that it is not always simple to do. There is so much of 'me' that gets in the way, my own thoughts and plans distracting me from looking singularly for what God can do.

And that's why I have found that it is so important that I start my day with reading God's word, which always points me to what God can do.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners. Nor sits in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:1-2 NKJV

Without fail, His words help to re-align my thinking about anything and everything, with His truth.
 
That familiar verse in Hebrews encourages us to study how Jesus did it, how He lived on this earth, not losing focus when the going got tough.

Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed - that exhilarating finish in and with God - he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever.  And now he's there, in the place of honour, right alongside God.  Hebrews 12:2 The Message

Jesus only ever did what the Father asked Him to do, and Jesus always waited for the Father's perfect timing. 

So Jesus added, When you have lifted up the Son of Man [on the cross], you will realise (know, understand) that I am He [for Whom you look] and that I do nothing of Myself [of My own accord or on My own authority), but I say [exactly] what My Father has taught Me.  John 8:28 AMP

And Jesus knew that His Father was with him.

And He Who sent Me is ever with Me; My Father has not left Me alone, for I always do what pleases Him. John 8:29 AMP

Now, I know I don't always do what pleases God, but I do know that Jesus, my Lord and Saviour, is perfect. And He stands in the gap for me, enabling me to experience an ever present Heavenly Father with overwhelming love. And it is that love, of which I am reminded every time I read The Bible, that helps me to look for what God can do in anything and everything.

When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again item, by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! Hebrews 12:3 The Message

Questions for today, in whatever is going on in your life, are you looking for what God can do?  Are you reading His word, aligning your thoughts with His truth? Are you reminding yourself that no matter how imperfect you are, Jesus is perfect and His perfection give us direct access to a loving Heavenly Father today?

No comments: