Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Creator and Repairer

Earlier this week our daughter had the cast removed from her arm. The doctor showed us the original x-ray of the broken radial bone in her forearm (did we really need to see that again?) and then he showed us an x-ray taken that day, six weeks later. The new bone had started to grow over the fracture. The doctor said that as she was young when the break happened, in a few years time, if we did an x-ray we the fracture wouldn't be identifiable.

Yesterday as I was giving God thanks for this good result, I started thinking about how intricate our body is, and wondered, how can anyone who has a human body, deny the existence of the creator? 

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvellous - and how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. Psalm 139:13-15 NLT

But God is more than our Creator. He is our repairer. He knew that we would get damaged, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually too. He knows that when it comes to emotional and spiritual brokenness, we cannot repair ourselves. We need Jesus.

We need to be continually fixing our eyes on Jesus, meditating on the truth.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3 NKJV

Allowing God to renew our minds ...

And be constantly renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh mental and spiritual attitude]. And put on the new nature (the regenerate self) created in God’s image, [Godlike] in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24

And know with confidence, that we are in a continual process of repair. The master restorer is at work.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Psalm 23:1-3 NKJV

Question for today, is there something in your life, physical, emotional or spiritual that needs repairing? Invite Jesus to do the repair job, no job is too big or too small for Him (and remember that He already knows what needs repairing - it is not new news to Him). Then trust that He is doing a good work, be expectant and wait until He tells you what to do next. This continual repairing process is so important as it allows us to become more of who God has called us to be and do what he has called us to do.

And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him.  2 Corinthians 3:18 The Message




 


No comments: